PREPARING FOR THE CLOSE UP HIGH SCHOOL PROGRAM
We can’t wait to welcome you to the nation’s capital! To help you prepare for your Close Up program, here are a few suggestions and tips to help ensure that you get the most out of your experience:
- Stay up-to-date on local, national, and international news! Whether you read a newspaper every day, watch a daily newscast, follow a blog or a news Twitter feed, staying current on what’s going on in your world will make what you learn on Close Up even more relevant and relatable! It will also greatly enhance your ability to engage other students, potential speakers and debaters, and even your elected officials.
- Some websites and blogs you may find useful:
- U.S. House of Representatives
- U.S. Senate
- Library of Congress - Congressional Legislation
- White House
- Supreme Court and Supreme Court Blog
- Smithsonian Museums
- Red State - Conservative Blog and The Nation - Liberal Blog
- Real Clear Politics - Political Blog
- Politico - In-Depth Political Coverage
- American Progress - Liberal Think-Tank and Heritage - Conservative Think-Tank
- Brookings - Moderate Foreign Policy Think-Tank
Purchase a Current Issues textbook and do some in-depth study on the issues you will discuss on program.
Know who represents you in Congress! Find out the names of your district U.S. Representative and your states’ Senators. While you’re at it, take a look at their recent voting record and their position statements on policies that affect you.
Review the resources available to your through your individual account. In addition to your sample program schedule, you will also find helpful information regarding your travel itinerary, hotel and suggestions on what to wear and pack for your exciting trip!
Please remember to complete your enrollment form online and review all Close Up terms and conditions in advance of program. Make sure all required forms for Close Up and your school are signed and ready to go.
Be prepared for your child to have the experience of a lifetime!
For more information, or if you would like to speak directly to a Close Up Representative, please feel free to contact us at 800-CLOSE UP (256-7387) or at firstname.lastname@example.org. We also encourage you to visit our FAQ page to learn more about Close Up or any of our programs.