CLOSE UP IN CLASS: CURRENT ISSUES
Close Up’s comprehensive classroom resources expose students to the world of public policy and offer a dynamic perspective on domestic and international issues. Our resource center provides the context, facts, and primary source documents to engage middle and high school classrooms in informed debate about current events. Classroom materials also complement our Washington, D.C. programs, keeping students engaged throughout the school year.
WHAT TYPE OF TOPICS DO WE COVER?
- Foundational Units review the structure of the federal government and principles of foreign policy.
- Domestic Policy Units give students a broad understanding of key domestic policy issues. Examples include: Immigration, Healthcare, and Education.
- Foreign Policy Units give students a broad understanding of key foreign policy issues. Examples include: ISIL’s Quest for Power, Global Security, and Human Rights.
- Monthly Discussions examine pressing controversies in the news and explore specific Legislative Bills and Supreme Court cases. Examples include: Racial Profiling, Syrian Refugees, and the Voting Rights Act.
- Words of Ages brings together enduring American literature to illuminate events and trends throughout U.S. History. Examples include: Letter from Birmingham Jail and The Jungle.
- Election Center explores the major policy issues driving the election, and the positions candidates are taking on the issues.
WHAT KIND OF SUPPORT DO WE PROVIDE FOR TEACHERS?
- Reading Guides & Extension Questions for policy units and monthly discussions ensure students understand key facts and concepts.
- Lesson Plans provide teachers with a variety of techniques for teaching controversial issues in the classroom.
- Guided Projects & Activities extend student learning and enhance classroom discussions.
- Additional Unit and Lesson Plans challenge students to develop a point of view and apply new knowledge through actual civic engagement in the community.
WHAT MAKES OUR RESOURCES UNIQUE?
- Accessible — Relevant background information and intentional scaffolding make all materials accessible across a range of grade levels and courses.
- Balanced and Bipartisan — Using a selection of primary sources drawn from decision-makers and pundits on both sides of the aisle, we provide students with a balanced and bipartisan look at major issues facing American policymakers.
- Engaging — A variety of interactive media, lesson plans, and activities help students to understand broad ongoing political debates and the impact of individual policies.
- User-friendly — Upon purchase of our materials, a simple login code is issued to each school. Any student or teacher in the school community may access our resources.
- Frequently Updated — All material is in a consistent, easy-to-use electronic format that is updated monthly to stay current and relevant for classroom use.
For more information or to order Close Up in Class: Current Issues please email us at email@example.com or call us at 703-706-3665.